Thursday, April 16, 2009

Jing Jing



In November, at the orphanage, my friend noticed that a little girl looked a little like Lily. We inquired about her and learned that her name was Jing Jing (Lily's chinese name) and she was about the same age as Lily. I do not believe they are twins but this gave me a special interest in her. We also learned she has a severe heart defect and was having more and more problems with energy level, almost passing out, etc..

I couldn't get her off of my mind so I talked with David and we agreed we wanted to try to get her the help she needed. We met with the director of the orphanage and they were very agreeable and said they would even get her a passport if we needed to take her out of China for surgery. This is VERY unusual. During this meeting, we also found out that the director is good friends with a co-worker of mine and so we automatically had some guanxi or relationship which is crucial in this culture.

A man from our company's daughter lives in Beijing and works with a foundation that helps orphans so I contacted here and was able to take Jing Jing to Bejing last month for her first tests. They show that she has pulmonary atresia, ventricular septal defect, and collateral blood vessels and that she needs more extensive testing to see if surgery is possible. They did not have a bed for her then so they said they would call when one became available. Apparently, they have 60 beds but there is a shortage of nurses and support staff so they can only have 30 beds occupied at one time. Poor Jing Jing was carsick the entire way there and back and was just so pitiful.

The hospital called on April 16th and said they had a bed available--could she be there that night? After 4 hours of dozens of phone calls and text messages, we were on our way to Beijing for a CT scan and an angiogram. In a Chinese hospital, a patient has to have someone with them 24/7 for the entire stay. Also, they do not provide ANYTHING for you. When I say anything, I mean toilet paper, soap, towels, eating utensils, bowls, and so on. Also, the patients food is not provided and costs about $1.25/meal. I guess that is one way to keep costs down!

Kelly and I stayed with her on the weekend and what an experience. First of all, we were the only English speakers in the hospital. When we didn't understand what was being said, sometimes another Chinese speaker was brought into the conversation or sometimes they just spoke louder and louder as if we just couldn't hear properly. At lunchtime, I went out and stood in line for Jing Jing's food. When I put my bowl in front of the woman and said Jing Jing's name she informed me that they didn't have food for her. I couldn't understand the rest. I have found that I'm getting used to not know they "why's" of things I don't understand. You just move on. So, I fed her some of the breakfast I had bought on the street earlier. It was quite the adventure and special memories made for both of us.

Jing Jing was supposed to have her angiogram on Tuesday but we got the call that they couldn't do it then---maybe Wednesday or Thursday---or maybe next Tuesday. WHAT? Our Dad moved mightily and she was able to have the test on Thursday. My friend, Kimberly, was there and loved her through that test and recovery. The doctor concluded that she has a severe defect, made worse without treatment for so long, but is operable.

Please join me in lifting this little one up. All life is precious and our hope is that once she has the surgery she will be able to have a loving family. Please check out my link to the Tianjin International Committee for Chinese Orphans.



1 comment:

  1. Trusting and talking to the one who is more than able. so precious.

    ReplyDelete